International Training on Conflict Analysis and Strategic Peacebuilding
Conflict is a natural, normal and neutral occurrence but how to deal with that which is normal and neutral when it causes dislocations in our lives is the major challenge.
Conflict is a natural, normal and neutral occurrence but how to deal with that which is normal and neutral is a major challenge. Depressed economies, unemployment among young people, diversity , multiculturalism and migration creates dislocations and conflict but a clear understanding of how to analyze these conflicts is what is lacking which makes a lot of people to either resort to blame game or wrong approaches to conflict which in turn escalates the conflict.
It is possible for people to take the right approaches in dealing with conflict provided they understand the root causes of the conflict. If you find yourself in a diverse team who are constantly in mortal disagreements and everyone pulling in different directions or a relationship that suddenly turns sour or a stable community which suddenly go up in arms against each other, then there is need for conflict analysis skills. A superficial assessment of the situation based on what can be seen or associated emotional feeling will confuse and derail right approaches to transforming the situation but a clear understanding of CONFLICT ANALYSIS SKILL will help in delving to the epicenter of the problem which will bring about right approaches and lead to stable and harmonious working relationships.
The benefit of these skills will help communities, teams and young people overcome divides of multiculturalism and diversity. This training seeks to help people get off the superficial and cosmetics approach to understand complex situation and give them the needed tools and skills to untangle situations and help teams to understand themselves better for better performance and communities and groups to function harmoniously in a mutually reinforcing dimensions. This training will mitigate kneel jerk responses to unpleasant pressured situations but gives the participant the required skills to cut through distractions and get to the heart of the problem because lack of clear understanding of any conflict creates room for escalation of conflict which could make it more difficult to transform. This project will promote diversity, deepen the values of freedom, tolerance and promotion of human rights and cohesive communities. The project will be facilitated through non-formal learner centered approaches with kine-static methods.
- To train 30 youth workers, youth leaders and youth in specific Conflict Analysis.
- Train youth workers on conflict mapping frameworks
- Train youth workers and young people in negotiation skills.
- To train youth workers and youth leaders the fundamental principles of creators who takes the advantages of bad situations to create new and better opportunities.
- To train youth workers and youth leaders in team building and team leading skills which will enable them to leverage diversity in a multicultural workspace.
- Build a pool of conflict analyst.
- Train youth worker and youth leaders on the cycle of conflicts.
- Train participants in local capacities for peace-building.
- Train participants in strategic peace-building
- Train youth workers on human rights.
- Train youth workers on the values of diversity and inter-cultural dialogue.
- Day 1 (29.10.17) : Introductions, general information, group building tasks/ Agenda setting
- Day 2 (30.10.17) : Conflict cycle, conflict analysis and reflection session
- Day 3 (31.10.17) : Approaches to conflict,conflict transformation
- Day 4 (1.11.17) : New media and conflict, Society of youth of Europe partnership policies
- Day 5 (2.11.17) : Negotiation, team building
- Day 6 (3.11.17) : Qualities of a negotiator, skills to negotiation
- Day 7 (4.11.17) : Strategy for cooperation, Developing projects
- Day 8 (5.11.17) : Communication skills in conflict
- Day 9 (6.11.17) : Conflict mapping
- Day 10 (7.11.17) : Youth pass and social mobility
Arrival and departure
We expect you to arrive to Brighton on the 29th October, 2017. Departure is on 7th November, 2017. The participants are expected to travel independently from the airport/ station to the hotel.
In case of emergency or any travel changes, please contact Olusina Odunjo on 07577765096 or 07574056070 and you can also contact Adeola Ojeniyi through 07411128401
Please note that the organisers will not provide any additional accommodation outside the dates of the training course!
Transport to and from the venue
Since U.K is pretty well connected by trains. It is your best means of transport. If you are coming in from Gatwick, Stansted, Luton or Heathrow. Check likely routes for train or buses through Southern railway , National express depending on your arrival point. Kindly choose the cheapest means of transport. Taxis will not be reimbursed. Please do not forget to keep originals of all tickets, boarding passes, etc. It will be needed for reimbursement.
The organisers do not provide any health insurance for the Individual participants; we will explore the possibility of a group insurance. But the participants are requested to purchase individual health insurance for their stay in U.K. Please bring the medications you may need as well.
Useful information and contacts number
The weather – these days the temperature is around 1 to 7 degrees, and it’s quite cold so is good to take some winter clothes. And of course here you never know when the rain comes so don’t forget to bring a raincoat and your umbrella too! ; English weather is unpredictable). There might be occasions to be at the seafront. Please find below the draft schedule of the programme: something may change due to organizational reasons, it is just to give you an idea. We will all finalize the final programme.
The organizer covers 100% of travel costs to the venue and back based on the agreed budget limit for each country. The reimbursements will be done either by bank transfer or in cash by the last day of the workshop and only upon the presentation of all travel documents (invoices, receipts and boarding passes…).
Reimbursement of travel costs will only be done upon full attendance of the training activities and presentation of the original travel tickets with boarding passes, receipts and invoices. Car travel and taxi are usually not eligible for reimbursements. If the participant paid for the ticket with a credit card, s/he is requested to hand out the confirmation of payment (i.e. credit card slip and/or bank statement).
Reimbursement will be done in GBP, regardless of the currency indicated on the ticket and Receipt/invoice. Any tickets purchased in a local currency other than EUR, will then be converted and calculated according to the exchange rate of the month when the ticket/s were purchased, as stated in the official at European Commission web-site